The Trump administration is making plans for an immigration crackdown in Chicago, according to multiple news outlets.

A major immigration enforcement operation could arrive in the city as soon as next week, CNN and The New York Times both reported on Aug. 28, citing unnamed administration sources. It comes after Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker and Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson, both Democrats, criticized President Trump's plan to send the National Guard into Chicago, as Trump did earlier this month in Washington, DC.

The Chicago operation could involve as many as 200 Department of Homeland Security officials, armored vehicles, and the use of a naval base outside the city as a staging area, the outlets reported. Chicago's violent crime is reportedly down 22%, compared to the same period a year ago. The statistic parallels a Council on Criminal Justice report in July showing that most crime categories have also dropped in other cities across America.

The Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement did not respond directly to USA TODAY's request for comment on a planned Chicago operation. Both emailed a statement generally supporting Trump's immigration crackdown.

"President Trump has been clear: we are going to make our streets and cities safe again," the statement read. "Under (Homeland Security) Secretary Noem, ICE and CBP are working overtime to deliver on the American people's mandate to arrest and deport criminal illegal aliens and make America safe again."

Chicago prepping for possible National Guard deployment

Meanwhile, Chicago city leaders are preparing for the possible arrival of National Guard troops as they briefed the City Council on what the city's response will be, according to WLS-TV.

Police Superintendent Larry Snelling was asked during an audio-only briefing with reporters on Aug. 28 how police would interact with the troops.

"It's impossible to answer that question without knowing if they're going to be here, what their orders are, what purpose they intend to serve," Snelling said. "But the key here is to communicate, to have some type of communication, so that nothing gets out of hand, nothing gets out of control, and we maintain peace in our city."

Mayor Brandon Johnson added during the briefing, "We have not had any communication with the White House regarding the president's alleged, alleged, his purported desire to send federal troops into cities across America; he has not communicated that with us."

Johnson, according to WMAQ-TV, also said, "The National Guard, they do not have arresting authority or policing powers. They don't have that. Now, if there are federal agents that are arresting people -- the FBI, ATF -- those types of arrests happen throughout our country."

Snelling told reporters that Chicago police officers will all be in uniform if there is any federal deployment to the city to ensure residents know who they are. If there is any immigration enforcement, a police supervisor would be dispatched to assess the situation, Snelling said.

"When federal agents come in to do work and whatever they decide to do when it comes to arrest things of that nature, the Chicago Police Department does not, cannot, and will not interfere with the work that federal agents are doing," Snelling said.

But the chief said they "don't want to raise any fears."

"We don't want to create any speculation around what's going on until we have concrete information. We don't put anything out there," Snelling said. "As information trickles in, we prepare around that information. But right now, the communication is limited."

However, one city leader, 15th Ward Alderman Raymond Lopez, posted on social media criticizing the mayor and police chief on Aug. 28 after two teens were shot on the city's South Side.

"If having national guardsmen on hand to increase uniform presence keeps our youth from getting shot, what's the damn problem?" Lopez said.

Trump doesn't tip his hand on when troops would come to Chicago

Trump has repeatedly talked about sending the National Guard to Chicago to help deal with its crime, similar to Washington, DC, but he has given no timeline. However, in a Truth Social post on Aug. 28, the president criticized Pritzker and indicated Chicago could be next.

"Governor Pritzker had 6 murders in Chicago this weekend. 20 people were shot. But he doesn’t want to ask me for help. Can this be possible?" Trump wrote. "The people are desperate for me to STOP THE CRIME, something the Democrats aren’t capable of doing. STAY TUNED!!!"

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: ICE planning major operations in Chicago as soon as next week, according to reports

Reporting by Terry Collins, USA TODAY / USA TODAY

USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect