HAYWOOD COUNTY, N.C. —
The North Carolina Department of Transportation says they are set to begin working on permanent repairs to a five-mile section of Interstate 40 that was washed away by Hurricane Helene. Latest Forecast
° F FEELS LIKE
HOURLY
DAILY RADAR TRAFFIC
Engineers on Thursday said they used soil nail walls to temporarily stabilize the interstate's slope in the months following the storm. The interstate partially reopened to traffic in March .
"Most of the work that we've done so far has all been temporary or access for permanent construction," engineer Josh Deyton said. "Permanent construction will be starting later this fall, though."
NCDOT officials said the permanent construction is estimated to cost about $1.36 billion. They said the project is funded by