Denver Mayor Mike Johnston’s campaign to relocate 2,000 homeless individuals from city shelters into permanent housing could fall short of his goal this year — and the city is blaming the loss of federal funds and state budget cuts.
In a quarterly update, Office of Housing Stability (HOST) Senior Advisor Cole Chandler told members of the city’s Community Planning and Housing Committee that, although the mayor’s initiative has placed more than 1,485 people in shelters so far this year, as of June 30, only 743 out of 2,000 have exited into permanent housing.
Chandler attributed the lagging numbers to cuts to state and federal housing resources.
“We had about 100 vouchers through the Denver Housing Authority that have been pulled back,” Chandler said. “So far, it's been communicated to us