Sean Small (84) was found dead at his home in Newcastle on Sunday night.
Police said he had been the victim of a “brutal and sustained” attack.
On Tuesday evening, a man (41) was arrested on suspicion of murder – hours after a £20,000 reward was offered for information by the Crimestoppers charity.
Police investigate the murder of a man in 80's in the Slievenabrock Avenue area of Newcastle
Late tonight, the PSNI said he had been charged with Small’s murder.
A spokesperson said the accused will appear before Newtownards Magistrates Court on Friday morning.
Small had recently been released from prison after serving a sentence for sexual offences.
Police have said Small is believed to have been last seen alive on August 19, five days before his body was discovered.
They also confirmed