Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said 23 people had died in the Russian strikes on Kyiv on Thursday, August 28, including four children. Eight other people remain unaccounted for.

"The youngest girl was not even three years old," Zelensky said in a post on X, saying rescue operations at the site of a residential building that was hit, where all but one of the confirmed deceased had died, were now completed.

Zelensky said 53 people had been injured overall in the strikes, which had also damaged buildings belonging to the European Union and the British Council.

The Kremlin said it had struck military infrastructure. A drone factory in the Kyiv region was among the targets hit.

This is a breaking news story. Updates to follow.

See Full Page