Residents of Nova Scotia can now access certain wooded areas as the provincial government has lifted a ban in some regions. Premier Tim Houston announced the change during a news conference on Friday, stating that the ban would end at 4 p.m. for specific areas, although it remains in effect for several counties.
"I hope this offers a little bit of bright news to some Nova Scotians as they head into the long weekend for many people," Houston said. The decision to partially lift the ban was based on data from the Department of Natural Resources, which indicated that recent rainfall had improved conditions.
"The professionals have determined that for some areas of the province, the [fire] index is no longer extreme and no longer expected to reach extreme numbers again anytime in the near future," Houston explained. He noted that while some areas still face extreme conditions, others do not, allowing for the easing of restrictions in those regions.
The woods ban had been in place since August 5 due to heightened wildfire risks caused by prolonged dry weather. Jim Rudderham, director of fleet and forest protection for Natural Resources, highlighted the severity of drought conditions when the ban was implemented.
"Now we're almost to September and given the rain that we received in these areas in the past little while and given the amount of time that's left historically in this province and doing some forecasting out, there's probably not enough time left for [drought levels] to get back to where they were," Rudderham said.
The areas where the woods ban has been lifted include Cape Breton, Richmond, Victoria, Inverness, Guysborough, Antigonish, and Halifax. The Halifax Regional Municipality announced it is in the process of removing barricades and signs at parks, trails, and greenspaces, a process that may take a few days.
However, Houston expressed regret for those in other parts of the province, stating, "For the rest of the province, I'm sorry the ban remains in place. The risk is still high and extremely high."
The ban continues in counties such as Pictou, Colchester, Cumberland, Hants, Lunenburg, Kings, Annapolis, Queens, Shelburne, Digby, and Yarmouth. Additionally, the provincewide burn ban remains in effect.
Rudderham provided an update on the Long Lake Wildfire, which began on August 13 and has burned an estimated 8,234 hectares. He noted that there have been no new reports of damage. "It's still a battle. It's still not under control. People have to remember that. It's a work in progress," he said.
Natural Resources reported ongoing efforts to prevent the fire from spreading toward communities, utilizing 11 helicopters, six planes, over 70 pieces of heavy equipment, and a combined force of 16 DNR, 90 Ontario, and 66 local firefighters. The fire has resulted in the loss of 20 homes.
In response to the ongoing West Dalhousie wildfires, the Municipality of the County of Annapolis has renewed its state of local emergency for a second time.