OCONTO COUNTY (NBC 26) — The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) and Oconto County Public Health say the measles outbreak in Oconto County continues to grow. As of August 29, 23 confirmed cases have been identified, and two people have been hospitalized.
According to DHS , in all of the cases, patients either tested positive in a lab or were directly linked to a confirmed case. DHS says its investigation shows the virus is spreading locally, though so far officials have not identified any public locations where they cannot trace who was exposed.
Just last week, NBC 26 reported that DHS had confirmed 14 cases. At that time, health officials warned that the rising numbers indicated local spread.
DHS says the people most at risk are those who are unvaccinated or unsure of their