Steve Sarkisian's future at Texas has been subject to quite a bit of speculation this season.
Earlier in the campaign, a report indicated that Sarkisian was open to NFL jobs this cycle, resulting in a statement from his representatives denying the report. Then, earlier this week, ESPN College GameDay host Desmond Howard put out a video suggesting that the Longhorns' job could open this year.
Sarkisian directly addressed those rumors at the beginning of his appearance on the SEC coaches teleconference on Wednesday, calling them "absolutely false."
“I’d like to comment something before I get into our team that has been bothering me now over the past few weeks," Sarkisian said. "That is people reporting that are insinuating that there’s a possibility I could leave the University of Texas, and that is absolutely false and untrue. I’m not going anywhere. Never do I do this because I never want to be a distraction, so I never address these things. At this point, I feel like this is important that I do this because it’s important for our team. It’s important for our university.
“I’ve had no discussions, not with my agent, not with the university, not with any other school, not with any NFL team, about ever going anywhere else. I came here to win championships. I’ve got two kids enrolled at the University of Texas, one in law school, one on our team. I’ve got a third that hopefully decides to enroll at the University of Texas next fall. My wife and I just had our son here in Austin. This is our home."
Sarkisian then said any questions about his future should be relayed to him rather than relying on reports and internet rumors.
“Can we please stop putting things out there that you have absolutely zero evidence on?" Sarkisian said. "Can we please stop retweeting and putting it back out there as if it’s true? As if it’s the gospel? It is not true. If you have a question about my future, call me or call (athletics director) Chris Del Conte, our athletic director, and we can set the record straight for you so everybody understands."
Del Conte also directly addressed Howard's comments on Sarkisian, saying it was "news to (him)."
Whether Sarkisian remains in Austin in 2026 remains to be seen, but he and his camp continue to strongly deny such rumors.
Contact/Follow @College_Wire on X and @College_Wires on Threads. Like our page on Facebook to follow ongoing coverage of college sports news, notes, and opinions.
This article originally appeared on College Sports Wire: Steve Sarkisian denies rumors that he plans to leave Texas
Reporting by Tyler Nettuno, College Sports Wire / College Sports Wire
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

USA TODAY National
Seacoastonline
Newsweek Top
The Bay City Times
Essentiallysports College Sports
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sports
Statesman Journal
The Daily Beast