GREENVILLE, S.C. (FOX Carolina) - The South Carolina Department of Social Services (DSS) is temporarily pausing new applications for a child care scholarship program that helps more than 50,000 families afford care.

The Working Families Child Care Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to parents, but DSS announced it will stop approving most new applications starting December 1. The department did not specify how long the pause will last.

DSS said federal funding they used for some vouchers ran out last year, and the government shutdown has delayed additional funding they are still receiving.

Parent Kayla Stivers has two children in the program and said her current scholarship expires early next year. She is worried she won’t be able to reapply.

“A lot of families are about

See Full Page