LAGOS, Nigeria — Nigerian President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday declared a nationwide emergency following two mass abductions of schoolchildren and a spate of attacks against civilians.
Tinubu said the government will recruit 20,000 additional police officers, raising the total to 50,000. He also authorized the intelligence service to deploy forest guards to protect remote areas from armed groups.
“My fellow Nigerians, this is a national emergency, and we are responding by deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas,” he said in a statement. The constitution allows the president to declare emergency during national crises.
Recent attacks by armed groups and threats from U.S. President Donald Trump have heaped pressure on Nigeria. Last week, gunmen took 25 st

Newsday

Breitbart News
AFP Top News
The Daily Beast
Daily Voice
Raw Story
Local News in D.C.
Reuters US Top
ABC 7 Chicago
New York Post
Law & Crime