During its earliest period of settlement, St. Catharines was referred to as The Twelve or Twelve Mile Creek, while the first instance of the present name occurred in February 1796, when a church subscription list was taken up.
Shipman’s Corners is often erroneously cited as another early name.
Maps of the city show Paul Shipman owned a 12-acre block (4.85 ha) at the intersection of the “Niagara” and the “Lake” roads (St. Paul and Ontario streets).
His property was further bounded by William and Lake streets. There were no “corners” at that intersection until 1914-15, when access to Burgoyne Bridge and Ontario Street (Glenridge) Bridge was constructed.
Early residents may have referred to Shipman’s Corner (singular) and tavern as a meeting place. After the War of 1812, the name St. Cath

Niagara Falls Review

CBC Windsor
Newsweek Top
The Babylon Bee
Bozeman Daily Chronicle Sports
Detroit Free Press
Massillon Independent
Raw Story
Desert Sun Sports