An inquiry into the Stonehaven train derailment which claimed three lives could begin in January, a hearing has been told.
The fatal accident inquiry into the derailment at Carmont in Aberdeenshire , in August 2020 is now expected to last around four weeks, rather than eight as previously thought.
Train driver Brett McCullough, 45, conductor Donald Dinnie, 58, and passenger Christopher Stuchbury, 62, died in the incident on August 12 that year, and six people were injured.
A criminal prosecution saw Network Rail fined £6.7 million in 2023 after it admitted health and safety failings over the crash, which happened on a day of torrential rain.
At a preliminary hearing held virtually from Aberdeen Sheriff Court on Thursday, Alex Prentice KC, representing the Crown, said preparatio