President Donald Trump canceled Secret Service protection for former Vice President Kamala Harris, according to a newly revealed letter.
CNN reviewed the letter revoking protection extended to Harris by former President Joe Biden shortly before he left office, in a move that had not been previously disclosed.
“You are hereby authorized to discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorized by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law, for the following individual, effective September 1, 2025: Former Vice President Kamala D. Harris,” the letter reads in full.
Former presidents are provided with Secret Service protection for life, while federal law provides vice presidents with six months of protection after leaving office, but Biden extended Harris' protection for an additional year in a directive that had not been made public until Trump reversed the order.
Protection for Harris will end just as she begins a high-profile book tour around the release of her new memoir "107 Days," which chronicles her brief presidential campaign against Trump after Biden ended his own candidacy.
“The Vice President is grateful to the United States Secret Service for their professionalism, dedication, and unwavering commitment to safety,” said her senior adviser Kirsten Allen.
Multiple sources familiar with her security operations said Harris faced enhanced security concerns as the first woman and first Black woman to serve as vice president, and those concerns increased after she became the Democratic nominee and continued into the start of Trump's presidency.
“This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more," said Karen Bass, mayor of Los Angeles, where Harris now lives. "This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the Governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles."