WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Around 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Wichita Police said a military-grade ordnance found earlier that day was not live and that the bomb squad will remove the device.

The bomb squad was called to a northeast Wichita neighborhood on Wednesday after someone found a military-grade ordnance.

Wichita Police Lt. Krys Henderson said the call came in around 2 p.m. Someone was renovating a home in the 700 block of N. Stratford, near 9th and Woodlawn, when they found the device.

Residents who live in the area were asked to either evacuate their homes or shelter in place until the device was rendered inert.

Henderson said the 700 and 800 blocks of Stratford would be blocked off until WPD’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit deemed the area safe.

COMMUNITY ALERT: Officers are on sc

See Full Page