PIEDMONT — The runoff for Piedmont district 1 has been cancelled after candidate Robert Dunbar announced that he resigned his candidacy.

Tuesday night’s final vote tally left Dunbar’s opponent Brittney Williams ahead with 46 percent of the vote and Dunbar claiming 39 percent.

Dunbar said that his reasons behind dropping out of the race was not a political one, but rather was a religious one.

“My walk with God is — first and foremost — the most important thing. And I had sat and I had talked and prayed to God, and I said that no matter what, if she gets more votes than me, then I'm going to congratulate her on such a fine race,” Dunbar said. “Because it was no mudslinging in it or nothing like that. Tell her, I wish her the best of luck.”

Dunbar explained that he had already spoken with

See Full Page