GRAND FORKS — Parents and a student who attended Grand Forks high school open houses this week gave mixed reviews of a new cellphone ban implemented within Grand Forks Public Schools.
Part of the statewide “bell-to-bell” cellphone ban that was passed by the North Dakota Legislature in April, Grand Forks' plan was put together earlier this summer by district leaders and went into practice on Wednesday and Thursday, the district's first days of school.
Gabriela Toviah, the parent of a student at Red River High School, said she supports the policy and hopes it will spur connections between students.
“We need more interaction," she said. "People are getting more isolated."
She acknowledged concerns about students not having their phones in emergency situations, but said that she herself