Scotland’s First Minister is not being “fully candid” about engagement with the UK Government on housing asylum seekers in Inverness, the Scottish secretary has said.

The Scottish Government has consistently said there was no consultation before the decision was announced to house 300 asylum seekers at Cameron Barracks in the Highland city.

The proposals caused concern on the council and in the Government before being postponed on Friday, with First Minister John Swinney telling the Press Association on Saturday that the plans had been drawn up “on the back of an envelope”.

Speaking on the BBC’s Sunday Show, Scottish secretary Douglas Alexander said: “Highland Council, the Scottish Government, the local police service and indeed the local NHS were all informed prior to any public announ

See Full Page